Arizona Parent Testimonials
Because of the discussion group I feel like I appreciate my child’s intensity and creativity more. I understand where she’s coming from better now in many different ways.
You will feel better knowing you are not alone on this journey. You will feel that you can make progress with your kids to have a happier home and have your kids be happier.
I’m so grateful to have discovered the SENG Model Parent Group! It was incredibly helpful to be able to share stories of parenting wins and fails, and to gain insightful tips that have worked for others. I’ve gleaned many new tools in my parenting tool belt, while also cutting myself some slack for not being a perfect parent. Committing to this group was one of the best parenting choices I’ve made for my family
This group was invaluable for my family in discovering strategies to help our gifted child, especially in interpersonal situations where emotions are high.
The group provides some valuable resources, but what we valued most of all, was hearing from other parents how they deal with their gifted children. Gifted children can be amazing and bring a lot of joy, but at the same time bring a lot of challenges, which put you in doubt of your parenting skills. Listening to the group gave us the assurance that dealing with those situations is normal and brought some valuable insight on how others deal with it.
Meet Your Facilitators
Facilitator Amy Evans is a teacher in the Tempe Elementary School District where she works with elementary aged gifted students and their adults. In 2019 she became a certified SENG Model Parent Group Facilitator. She has since been hosting both in-person and virtual SENG Model Parent Groups.
Amy was a gifted student herself, growing up in Ohio, although at the time services looked very different and she was often doing projects in the hallway with her gifted cohort. As both a parent and an educator of gifted children, Amy is passionate about gifted education and about providing a space for caregivers to share and support one another.
Cindy Brown is a Family Consultant and founder of Polished Parents. She works with parents new to Homeschooling to identify their unique vision and goals for their family. Cindy meets parents exactly where they are at with the belief, parents have all the know-how within themselves. Her methods simply help to “buff and shine” parent engagement to create Polished Parents. Cindy pulls from 30 years of experience, to serve as a public speaker and facilitator of her Parent Membership Program. She is known as the “secret weapon” for parents who are ready to create empowerment, mindfulness, and fulfillment in their children’s lives.
Cindy Brown is an award-winning educator, Social Emotional Coach, Instructional Coach and public speaker with more than 30 years of experience, and 24 years raising her own children. Additionally, Cindy serves as a Program Supervision for the Teacher in Residence Program at Rio Salado College. Cindy combines her years of experience with her speaking expertise to serve as the secret weapon for parents who are ready to create empowerment and fulfillment in their children’s lives.
Cindy is actively involved in serving her community, supporting numerous family based organizations and nonprofits. She is an active member of the Junior League of Phoenix as an internal leader, served on the Board of Directors for the Arizona Association for Gifted and Talented, and Chairs the statewide Parent Institute Conference.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When will the Zoom link be sent out? The Zoom link for the Parent Discussion Group will be sent out 2 days prior to the first day of the group.
- What if I can’t attend each week? Are sessions recorded? Each week a summary of the discussion topics, along with additional resources, are emailed to class participants. Sessions are not recorded in order to protect the privacy of the participants and their families.
- Do I need to have my video on during the virtual Parent Discussion Group? Having your video on is a way fellow parents can connect with you; however, we understand that varying needs arise and we encourage you to turn off your video while needs are being taken care of.
- Can additional people from my household attend the Parent Discussion Group? Yes, there is one registration fee/household if only one Zoom box is used for your household.
- Can children attend the group? No, this group is designed to support parents.
- Is this group a lecture format? No, this is an active group discussion, with the discussion being facilitated by certified SENG facilitators.
- Will there be homework each week? Yes, the homework is to help you prepare for the discussion through our readings and focus on a weekly improvement goal set from the weekly discussion.
- Does the Parent Discussion Group teach parents how to advocate for gifted children and gifted services? Although chapters are dedicated to Advocacy in our book, time does not allow for this discussion. However, connecting with or organizing an AAGT affiliate will help you learn about advocating for your gifted & talented, or 2e child.
- What if I need to drop the class? Is there a refund? Per AAGT policy, there are no refunds for the course.
- Are scholarships available? Contact the AAGT Executive Director if you have a financial need for a scholarship.