Online Summer Boredom Busters for Gifted Learners
Summer is just around the corner and many of our learners will be at home alone while their parents/guardians are at work (or continue to work from home). It’s important to provide ideas for students to explore that will keep them engaged and prevent the summer slide. Below are some suggestions for continuous learning using digital tools.
- Camp Wonderopolis – A part of Wonderopolis created specifically for summer learning.
- TED Ed – Lots of topics, ideas, and concepts to explore through video.
- 5 Clue Challenge – The 5 Clue Challenge gives learners the opportunity to receive 5 clues and use what they know to make an educated guess about what the clues describe.
- Google Maps Treks – Such a great tool for learners that would like to explore but are unable to leave their homes.
- National Geographic Kids – Find amazing facts about animals, science, history and geography, along with fun competitions, games and more.
- Magic Tree House – If your child likes The Magic Tree House series (and let’s be honest, who doesn’t?), they’ll love The Magic Tree House website. Students climb up the tree and enter the tree house to find some great puzzles, fun games and quizzes on any of the 45+ MTH books.
- Toporopa – Can’t afford that summer vacation schlepping around Europe? No worries, just pull up Toporopa on your nearest browser and learn all about the geographical, political, historical and economical aspects of the wonderful continent.
- Coder Kids – Coder Kids is a great company that offers online, in-person and on-demand coding classes and camps for kids of all ages. Their free on-demand class, Introduction to Scratch Coding, is the perfect way for kids to begin their coding journey!
- Code.org – offers Hour-of-code lessons that are particularly useful for kids looking for a quick class. They can learn to program Minecraft animals and Star Wars droids, or code their own adventure with Frozen characters.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with further resources for digital tools to continue engaging our gifted learners over the summer!