2019 Parent Institute Recap
The 2019 Parent Institute was a huge success and we want to thank everyone involved, specifically AAGT Board Members and Parent Institute Co-chairs Adam Laningham and Stephanie Newitt. Excellent job organizing and preparing for this year’s event.
Our hosts at Barry Goldwater High School did a fantastic job at making sure that we were set up and comfortable. As hosts, the will receive any proceeds from parent institute towards their gifted program.
We were also joined by Senator Heather Carter, a very special Gifted Education advocate for AAGT. She spent a few moments updating us on the upcoming legislative session, where there is a special Ad-Hoc committee that will be meeting on September 30th to discuss the future of Gifted Education funding. YOu can watch this meeting live on azleg.gov. As homework, Sen Carter asks that we identify our district legislator and contact them to encourage them to vote for the gifted funding for FY21! Tell them about your child(ren) and the impact gifted education support has on your family.
Thank you to all our parents who came and participated in our event. We hope that you took home a lot of great information to nurture your children and help them “Unleash their Potential.”
Our keynote session “Leaving Genius on the Table: Unleashing the Critical Thinking Potential of All Children” by Colin Seale, ThinkLaw, gave great insight on how we as parents can give our children the opportunity and the correct tools they need to think through problems they face today.
We had twelve great break out sessions. Thank you to all our presenters:
- Colin Seale – “Defeating the ‘I Don’t Care’ Syndrome”
- Jamie Dana, elevate Counseling – “How To Get Off The Emotional Roller Coaster With Your Tween/Teen” and “How To Get Off The Emotional Roller Coaster With Your Elementary Child”
- Nathan Levy, Author & International Speaker – “Powerful Strategies to Enhance the Learning of Gifted Students” and “Powerful Strategies to Enhance the Learning of Gifted Students”
- Rebekah West Keur, Paradise Valley Unified School District – “A Showcase of the Needs of a Specialized Middle School Gifted Program”
- Krista Gibson, DVUSD Gifted Specialist – “A Tale of Three Daughters; Parenting Gifted Children”
- Dr. Mai-Lon Wong, AAGT Board Member – “Finding Your Child’s Element”
- Adam Laningham, Deer Valley Manager of Gifted & Advanced Academics & AAGT Board Member – “Strategies to Support Gifted Children and How Trauma Impacts Them”
- Otto Siegel, Genius Coaching – “Five Tips to Avoid Stress With Homework”
- Dr. Paul Beljan, Beljan Psychological Services – “Differential Diagnosis: A Logical Approach to Understanding Commonly Misdiagnosed Features of Gifted Children”
- Speranta Klees, WEST-MEC – “A Faster Way Forward: Career and Technical Education is for Gifted Students”
- Briggs Carhart, Student, The University of Arizona College of Medicine – “The College Prep I Wish I Knew… Tips From A Gifted College Student”
Thank you to our wonderful Vendors who came and provided valuable information to our attendees:
- Boys Hope Girls Hope of Arizona
- North Ranch Elementary School
- People to People International Student Travel Programs
- Young Rembrandts
- DVUSD Renaissance Gifted Academies
- Arizona Girlchoir Association
- Phoenix Boys Choir
- Genius Coaching
- Bright Child Books LLC
- Mensa Gifted Youth
- PVUSD Gifted and Accelerated Learning
- Elevate Counseling
- With Understanding Comes Calm, LLC
Finally, thank you to our volunteers who ran the Student Enrichment Programs for the day. The kids had such a blast learning and having fun!
We look forward to another successful event next year!